Thursday, March 26, 2009

zoo photos

zoo photos

Here are the long promised pictures of the zoo field trip that we took the slum school kids on. The kids all showed up on time, and dressed in what appeared to be their best clothes. Only about 60 kids were able to come, since some of the kids were taking exams. They walked in single file down the dirt road, straight through the garbage dump which we drive through every time we visit. Right from the start, we were all amazed by how calm and orderly they all were. So well behaved that it almost seemed strange! We all boarded the buses, and drove to the zoo. On the way, the teachers led the children in their morning prayers. We met the branch members, who would help serve as chaperones, at the entrance to the zoo. There had been another bus to transport all of them. I have to hand it to Oliver; he did a great job of planning the logistics of this activity.
Then we divided the children into groups, and the branch members helped look after the children. It was fun to see all the kids so excited to see the rhinos, elephants, and other animals. The boys were particularly interested to see some deer engaged in a fight!
I was amazed to learn that Shyam, (the young man you may remember from us building up his home) had never been to the zoo! I am sure that many of the children and some of the other adults were experiencing the zoo for the first time as well.
We took a long circular route through the whole zoo, and we saw so many animals! My favorites were the white peacock, and the white tiger! Maybe all the colors of India are getting to me. There were also many different species of deer, leopards, tons of beautiful birds and, of course, elephants. They have the biggest Indian elephant I have ever seen.
After the zoo, we drove the kids to our favorite park to have a lunch. We were able to bring chips, bananas, juice, namkeen (spicy snack), and little candy bars to assemble into little packages. The branch members made an assembly line, and everyone helped out.
Then we all sat down together and enjoyed a little lunch. Some, no most, of the kid only ate a little, and brought the rest of their food home to share with their families. This is a common thing with them; nearly every time we give them food, they do the same thing. There was some leftover food that we sent back to the school for them to eat for their daily snacks.
I have lately started looking at everything here with a more nostaglic eye. I am starting to feel like I am about to wake up from an incredible dream, a dream that will soon disappear from memory like so many dreams do. I will miss these people and this land so much. I went visiting teaching last night and had a great time. It will be hard to get used to visiting people who don't bring you amazing hot food the minute you sit down, and who don't expect you to stay and talk for over an hour. These people are patient, kind and so generous. Their homes may be small, but they are meticulously clean and full of the spirit. I have been trying to just absorb everything I see. Our lives are about to change in a major, major way.
Amber