Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pictures of the school, women of the slum where the school is, and some of the kids during a "puppy playdate" we had with Oliver's counselor's kids and their dog. The guy by the gate is our wonderful driver, standing as a protector, as usual, and the lady counting money had just changed a 10 dollar bill with me for all that Indian money. I am always amazed by how lovely the women are, young and old, even though they work so hard. The young lady washing clothes is always there in the same place working on various tasks. I love the picture of the lady and her baby. She looks so proud of him. He must be one of the only things she has. Today at the school, it was weird because we were all outside the whole time. Quite a crowd gathered from the village. As I was coming into the school, one of the children touched my feet and then kissed his hand, which I hope is a gesture of respect. I am starting to really recognize the kids. Since there are so many, this is a nice thing! They seem to realize that we will keep coming. It will be really hard to make our last visit when it is time to leave India. The McIllece family from out branch (Americans) followed me out there. Dave, the dad, speaks Hindi. He is going to try to figure out the electricity issue with the government agency who is supposed to supply the power to the school. The school has been without power for months. This means no lights, no fans, no nothing. The littlest kids sit in the dark for hours in a windowless room. I hope Dave can get it figured out. He was a real asset to have around as usual. I am not sorry that I haven't devoted a ton of time to language here, but I do wish I knew a little more than I do.